On a hot summer day, there’s just something about fruity, ice-cold smoothie that makes them impossible to resist. The great thing about smoothies is that you can pretty much modify them to fit whatever craving you have and whatever health needs you’re trying to satisfy! Here are 4 easy and delicious recipes for your perfect summertime beverage!
1. Orange Smoothie- A low-calorie, healthy smoothie that tastes just like a creamsicle. It’s a perfect post-workout thirst quencher or mid-afternoon snack.
· 1 navel orange, peeled
· ¼ cup fat-free half-and-half or fat-free yogurt
· 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
· ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
· 4 ice cubes
1. In a blender, combine the orange, half-and-half or yogurt, orange juice concentrate, vanilla, and ice cubes. Process until smooth.
2. Green Tea, Blueberry, and Banana Smoothie- Antioxidant-rich green tea makes this smoothie a nutritional powerhouse.
· 3 tbsp water
· 1 green tea bag
· 2 tsp honey
· 1 ½ C frozen blueberries
· ½ med banana
· ¾ C calcium fortified light vanilla soy milk
1. In a small glass measuring cup or bowl, microwave water on high until steaming hot. Add tea bag and allow to brew 3 minutes. Remove tea bag. Stir honey into tea until it dissolves.
2. In blender with ice crushing ability, combine berries, banana, and milk.
3. Add tea to blender. Blend ingredients on ice crush or highest setting until smooth. Pour smoothie into tall glass and serve.
3. Strawberry- Banana Smoothie- Strawberries and banana make the ultimate smoothie blend. Enjoy it in supplement to a light breakfast or as an energizing snack. Get your protein on the go!
· 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
· 1 banana
· ½ cup orange juice
· 6 frozen strawberries
1. In a blender, combine the yogurt, banana, juice, and strawberries for 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides and blend for an additional 15 seconds.
4. Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie- Stay full and fight disease! This high-fiber drink becomes even healthier when you use organic kiwis, which contain higher levels of heart-healthy polyphenols and vitamin C.
· 1 ¼ cups cold apple juice
· 1 ripe banana, sliced
· 1 kiwifruit, sliced
· 5 frozen strawberries
· 1 ½ teaspoons honey
1. In a blender, combine the juice, banana, kiwifruit, strawberries, and honey. Blend until smooth