This up and coming fruit is making its way into many diets and new recipes and for good reasons too! The health benefits of Avocado are endless and not to mention they are delicious!
Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fat that is easily burned for energy. I know the word fat may scare some, but the monounsaturated fat is healthy for you! Foods that contain this fat lessen your LDL cholesterol, which is harmful to your body. Try to eat a whole avocado every day by simply adding it to your salad for example. This will increase your healthy fat and calorie intake without increasing protein or carbohydrate intake by saying putting chicken in the salad instead. Avocado is also very high in potassium and will help balance your vitally important potassium to sodium ratio.
Avocados are also very low in fructose, which is yet another bonus, and provide close to 20 essential health-boosting nutrients, including:
· Potassium (more than twice the amount found in banana)
· Vitamin E
· Folic acid
These super fruits are also said to be one of the safest fruits you can buy. Their thick skin protects the inner fruit from any pesticides. Most experts believe you do not need to buy more expensive organic avocados because of the little pesticide exposure.
Avocados have high fiber content as well. A typical avocado will contain both insoluble and soluble fiber, which makes it extremely powerful. Soluble fiber is great for appetite control. It has the effect of making you feel full, because it turns into a gel that sits in your stomach for a while when it comes into contact with water.
Introduce this green fruit to your diet and reap the bountiful benefits! Here is just one simple recipe to get you started.
Raspberry Avocado Salad with Honey Raspberry Vinaigrette
• 2 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced
• 1 (5 oz.) package spring mix salad
• 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, well drained
• 1/2 cup glazed walnuts, coarsely chopped
• 1/3 cup sliced green onions
• 1 cup fresh raspberries
• Pepper to taste
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
• 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
• 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
• 1/4 tsp. salt
1. To prepare dressing, whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, mustard and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Place the greens, oranges, walnuts and onions in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
4. Add avocados and raspberries and toss lightly.